2019 - Larry Gladney at Science on Saturdays

Join us on October 12th to hear Prof. Larry Gladney talk about “Peering into the Dark Side of the Universe” 

Humans have been doing science for as long as there is recorded history. We have recently learned that all of that science has been observing and studying things that constitute less than 5 percent of the stuff in the universe. Starting now, a whole new type of astronomy is being invented to find, study and understand the other 95%. What could be the ultimate mystery of physics: what is the dark stuff that determines the fate of the universe?

Science Saturdays is an award-winning lecture series designed for families that brings the excitement of research and the passion of scientists to the community. Each event involves a lecture by a Yale professor and hands-on science demonstrations run by Yale College students. This weekend will feature an inflatable planetarium! Bring the whole family! Refreshments will be served. Free parking is available at the Sachem-Prospect Garage on Prospect Street. Entrance to the garage is in the Yale Ingalls Ice Rink lot. For more event information go to: www.yale.edu/scienceoutreach

Time:  Demonstrations by Synapse of Yale Scientific Magazine from 10am - 11am; Talk from 11am - noon.

Location:  Sterling Chemistry Laboratory, 225 Prospect Street

Directions & Parking: Sterling Chemistry Lab is the building on the left of the driveway at 225 Prospect. Proceed into the main entrance and up the main staircase. Parking will be available on the street along Prospect, at the Yale Whale Ice Rink, and in Lot 16 at the corner of Whitney & Humphrey.

Larry Gladney picture.

About Larry Gladney:

Dr. Gladney joined the Penn faculty as an assistant professor of physics in 1988, after pursuing postdoctoral studies at the University between 1985 and 1988. In 1993, he was promoted to the position of associate professor in the Department of Physics and Astronomy and in 2005 to the position of Full Professor. From 2003 to 2004, he served as a visiting scholar at the Lawrence Berkeley National Laboratory.

He is the recipient of the 1997 Edward A. Bouchet Award from the American Physical Society, the 1997 Martin Luther King, Jr. Lecturer Award from Wayne State University, the 1994 Outstanding Community Service Award from the Black Graduate and Professional Students Association, and the 1990 Lilly Teaching Fellowship. From 1989 to 1994, he was a National Science Foundation Presidential Young Investigator.

Dr. Gladney served as a member of the U.S. Army Science Advisory Board from 1997 to 2002 and as a member of the High Energy Physics Advisory Panel for the Department of Energy and the National Science Foundation from 1998 to 2001 and again from 2006 to 2009. He has been chair or member of numerous review panels for the Department of Energy and the National Science Foundation.

Dr. Gladney was also the Director and Principal Investigator of the Penn Science Teacher Institute from 2008 to 2012 and Chair of the Faculty Senate.